Everyone has to take up some profession or the other to earn one’s livelihood. The task of choosing a profession is not easy in such days of keen competition. Now choosing a particular career for one’s life requires wisdom, a certain amount of cool thinking, information and planning. A wrong selection may ruin the career of a young student. A shy boy or an introvert cannot be a goo advocate. A weak hearted person cannot be a good doctor. The reason is that such professions demand certain skills, training, dexterity and experience, without which one is sure to meet failure. There are some vital factors which should guide one’s consideration and final decision as regards to the choice of a profession.
In the present industrial age, due to the development of industries, science and technology, our needs too have increased manifolds. There is no traditional vocation as the joint family system has subsided with the passage of time. In this age of specific specialisation, there is a tough competition in each and every sphere of life. Without expert knowledge and information one cannot enter any profession. Thus, the question of appropriate selection of profession has become all the more important.
Each person possesses traits and faculties that can make one as entrepreneur. However, it is possible and does happen that some may remain prisoners of their family background and other social environmental factors, thus may not succeed in bringing into full bloom their latent faculties of a profession. Choice of a profession is not purely a matter of one’s like and dislikes. There are pertinent and relevant factors reaching a conclusion in this regard. It is not a matter of idealism and mere fancy but a subject that needs to be analysed very practically and grabbing a seat in the field where the aptitude lies. It is combination of aptitude, capability, resourcefulness and objectivity.
The various factors which should be considered in this regard are as follows:-
- Interest in the profession : The profession should suit one’s taste and inclination.
- Mental Capability : Mental capability of a person and his command over a particular subject are important factors. C.A., Engineering, Law, etc., are the professions which require a high standard of mental calibre.
- Financial Resourcefulness: Some courses require a large period for completion and larger amount of money and hence any neglect of this aspect may result in leaving the project midway, e.g., the completion of MD Degree requires a time span of about 8½ to 9½ to years after the selection in M.B.B.S. Course.
- Choice of Institution : Choose a well recognised and established institution as the name of the institution remains ahead your name and degree. Avoid to take admission in Bogus Universities.
- The selected profession should be free from bitter or fierce competition.
- The selected profession should bring in enough money to support one’s family.
- The profession once selected should not be changed as fluctuating mind makes no progress. It is the stable mind that creates, innovates and progresses. Remember a rolling stone gathers no mass.
- Proper information about the selected course/profession should be collected. Future aspect of the profession should also be calculated.
Lack of proper information and timely guidance about various professions make it difficult to choose a right profession/Career. Here, in this booklet the summary of various courses available after Xth, XIIth, Graduation, etc., is given in the form of tables.
This information should be used to make long term planning. The details of various courses may be found from elsewhere.
The reader will find that the qualities like Motivation for assignment, Energy and Initiative, Emotional Stability, Leadership, Effective Intelligence, Social Relations, Security, Physical Ability, Observing and Propaganda skills are necessary for officer posts which are occupied after obtaining a professional degree like M.B.A., C.S., etc., Moreover, a habit to think and to perform different jobs logically should also be developed along with quality of mental alertness and sharp intelligence. It should possess the metnal qualities such as the quickness of learning, the ability to perform with economy the tasks involving ingenuity and originality, the ability to grasp complicated relationships and to recognize remote relationships. Thus, it is clear that one should be able to visualize very quickly the crux of the problem or situation and be able to adopt what one has learnt by this novel situation. All such type of qualities should be developed in a child during his/her study period in school/college so that after acquiring the sufficient knowledge of particular field, he/she may got a suitable position very soon.
Parents are advised not to impose their unfulfilled desires on their wards but they should guide them and help them to choose a profession according to his/her qualities and interests to get better results.
The information provided in different tables may be used as per your subjects at 10 + 2 level for setting a goal. For instance, if you want to be an executive, your path may be like as follows:
(i) XII ® B.Sc. / B.A. / B.Com. ® M.B.A. (Total Time 5 years)
(ii) XII ® B.Sc. / B.A. / B.Com. ® I.A.S. (Total Time 6-7 years)
(iii) XII ® B.Sc. ® M.Sc. ® Ph.D. ® D.Sc. (Different disciplines)
(iv) While you are doing B.Com. / B.Sc. / B.A., you may also join the course of CA to become Chartered Accountant.
(v) XII ® Integratd ® MBA (Total time 4 years)
(vi) XII ® Graduation ® LLB (Total Time 6 years)
(vii) XII ® Integrated B.A., LLB Course (Total Time 5 years)
(viii) XII ® MBA Integrated (4 years)
(ix) XII ® MBBS ® MD / MS (8½ - 9½ years) and so on .........